How Do I Add Bleed To My Artwork?
Adding Bleed To Any Product:
- Extend any background elements, such as images, colours and text, to 3mm over the edge of the page to reach the bleed border.
- Alternatively, you could add a 3-5mm white border to your job, ensuring it is even on all 4 sides.
- If your artwork is supplied without bleed, we will automatically add this on for you on most occasions. Please be aware on Just Print we do not check for objects that are too close to the edge, and if you have text close to the edge it may be fractionally cut off once the file has been enlarged.
Bleed On Flat Products:
- Artwork should have a 3mm bleed on all four edges
- Add bleed on both sides if the artwork is double-sided and when the artwork features a solid colour going right to the edge of the page.
Adding Bleed To Booklets
- Odd-numbered pages should not include a bleed on the left-hand edge
- Even-numbered pages should not include a bleed on the right-hand side
Bleed For Leaflets
- If you have an image, such as a photograph, which reaches the edge of your leaflet, please move this image 3mm off the page edge to create the required bleed, bearing in mind that this 3mm will be chopped off.
Examples of Bleed Size
The artwork size for an A5 flyer is 148mm x 210mm, and 154mm x 216mm with a 3mm bleed on each side. When converting your design file to a print-ready PDF file, ensure the PDF size is large enough to incorporate this larger page size.
If you have an image, such as a photograph, which reaches the edge of your leaflet, please move this image 3mm off the page edge to create the required bleed, bearing in mind that this 3mm will be chopped off.
How to set up bleed in InDesign
When you open a new document, enter your image size, then click “Bleed and Slug”, choose 3mm on all four edges and press create.
How to set up bleed in Photoshop
When you open a new document, enter your image size, and create. Choose canvas size, from the image menu and add 6mm to the width and height of your document, then choose a background for canvas extension colour.
Any Just Print jobs supplied without bleed will automatically be enlarged to create a bleed.
If the artwork contains text or images close to the edge of the page, this may be fractionally cut off during trimming. If you are not confident in adding a bleed to your artwork, we would encourage you to select our File Check artwork service and a member of our team will ensure your PDF file is perfect before sending to print.